Monday, September 21, 2009

Getting cold!

It was in the low to mid 40's this morning and I'm thinking, why do I do this to myself? I enjoy the riding but I have to second guess myself when its cold, windy and dark. To top it off, Mike didn't show this morning for some unknown reason (haven't talked to him yet). After waiting a few minutes I started the ride along the side of 27th Street with blinding headlights from oncoming traffic obstructing my view of the trail. I made it up the trail without incident (I didn't fall off the cliff) and even "cleaned" the loose portion of the trail that was disrupted during the recent road construction. It wasn't the same riding alone since I didn't have anyone to push me or joke around with to keep me awake. The sun came out somewhere near the end of my ride and it became easier to navigate the trail. I missed the trail a couple of times this morning and had to turn around and go back once. Nothing really exciting happened except that I almost experienced a "nut cracker" as I hit a rock that I was trying to climb but the bike stopped instead of climbing and I kept going. I stopped myself just short of smacking the frame. I've discovered that padded shorts don't help in that circumstance. Anyway, I finished the ride just in time to see my girls off to school. I guess they got ready in a hurry this morning so they could watch their boxing video from last night. It's pretty intense and a little terrifying. Check it out at our Tree Squirrels blog.

On a completely unrelated topic, I came across this bizarre tandem bike this morning. Mike and I rode a tandem bike once this summer and it was incredibly awkward and very difficult to climb with. I wasn't terribly impressed although newer models might be easier to use. However, if you've got to ride a tandem, this has got to be the way to go. I imagine the conversation may be a little dry and one sided. I'd hate to pedal that thing if the robot's battery ever died.

Original post at Endless-sphere.com

No comments: