Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mud Slingling

14.5 Miles
35 Degrees

Today was a lazy Saturday and I needed it to not be.  After finally getting myself moving, I decided to go for a ride.  The weather this week was great, for January in Montana anyway, so I thought a mountain bike ride to Two Moon Park would be appropriate.  After gearing up for cold weather, I was finally on the road.  On the way there I rode through Colson Park and the 1/2 mile trail that parallels the paved trail.  This should have been a sign to change my plans.  Colson Park was a muddy, sloppy mess.  I couldn't even enjoy the few jumps that are on the trail because I was sliding all over before I could get to them.  My bike was caked in mud and when I was able to catch some speed, chunks of mud flung off my tires and pelted me in the face.
Two Moon Park wasn't any better.  If anything, it was worse.  I trucked along slowly down the switch backs covered in ice, anticipating that the trails at the bottom might be better.  I couldn't even turn the bike.  It just slid straight ahead as I was trying to corner the switch backs.  The trails along the river were saturated and icy.  It was slow moving through there.  I made it deep into the park and gave up.  I needed to get out of there.

On the way home I decided to try the new Swords Park Trail (paved).  It was pretty nice but I was too spent to enjoy it after the sludge at Colson and Two Moon Parks.  It's a three mile climb to the top of the rims ending at the airport.  On the plus side, it was a fast ride down 27th Street to get back home, but being tired and wet, 35 mph in 35 degree weather is a little cold.  I enjoyed the warm shower afterwards.
 

No comments: