Saturday, November 5, 2011

Trainer

Well, winter is officially here with about 4 inches of that dreaded white stuff falling this morning.  In preparation, last weekend I cleaned out the garage and built shelving to house all of the miscellaneous stuff that was scattered all over and taking up valuable floor space.  I now have room to set up my trainer.  As much as I didn't want to use it, it wasn't all that bad.  Granted, I set up our old 27" TV and DVD player in front of the trainer, otherwise I'd be bored beyond belief. 

Last night I went out after the kids were in bed, turned on a heater and put in a disc of the Big Bang Theory and rode through three episodes before deciding it was quitting time.  I was dripping with sweat and had to turn the heater off after about ten minutes.  The trainer feels very unnatural and its really boring.  I need to see if I can lube the thing up and raise the front tire off the ground a little more.  I feel like I'm riding down a hill but pedaling up one.  Plus the whole time I worry about whether not I set the thing up correctly and if I'm going to damage my bike.  I'd almost rather run on a treadmill but its doing something, right?

This morning I tried again as the three girls were playing in the snow in the back yard.  They kept bugging me to help them with their snowman.  So there I was in bike shoes, shorts and a T-shirt building a snowman.   Brrrrr!  Back on the bike to warm up and then into the kitchen to make lunch.  I think I'll try again after the kids are in bed.

On a side note, its time to put the snow tires on the bike.  Maybe I'll pull the kids behind on a sled once I get the bike set up!  My snow tires make winter manageable.

P.S.  This is a trainer if you didn't know what I was talking about.

No comments: