Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Two Moon Park

Well, I've been a bum since the MS ride and have hardly been back on my bike since with the exception of commuting too and from work so I was excited when Mike called me up and asked if I wanted to ride.  We decided to meet up last Monday (a week ago) but I forgot to call and confirm it.  Feeling guilty, I went out to meet him at 6:00am just in case he showed.  Its dark and cold at 6am now and it wasn't really that pleasant.  Mike was a no show so I took off by myself and did an easy ride on the bike path.  I must have encountered 20 deer on the ride, a few who were determined to take me out.  It was a good ride though and I had forgotten how good my road bike feels.  I need to use it more often.

Anyway, yesterday Mike and I finally met up for a mountain bike ride through Two Moon Park.  It was good to catch up.  We did a lot of pedaling in too.  I met up with Mike a little earlier than I usually leave so we had 10 extra minutes to goof around.  No animals this time but it was still fun.  As we left, I warned Mike to shift down for the long climb up the switch backs.  He shifted down and easily cranked his way up the hill, however, my chain wouldn't catch leaving me in a higher gear.  I had to stand up the whole climb putting down enough force on the pedals to keep the bike moving but not enough to spin out the back tire.  My tire slipped at the end of almost every stroke but I was able to push through.

Today I tried to meet up with Mike again but couldn't reach him so I went by myself to Two Moon Park.  Another nice ride, and again I left early so I got in a few extra minutes of ride time.  I was so pooped by the time that I climbed out of the park that I struggled to keep my pace at 10 mph.  It didn't help that I fought a head wind all the way back to the office either. 

These last two rides have been good for me.  I'm hoping I can dig myself out of this slump and get moving again.

No comments: